Tomando control de su salud en trabajo is the Spanish translation of the Workplace CDSMP (wCDSMP).
Workplace CDSMP is an adaptation of the 6-week Chronic Disease Self-Management Program. It contains similar content, but is rearranged into 1-hour segments for the workplace. It is ONLY used in the workplace. It cannot be used in any other setting.
- Small group workshop offered either face-to-face or virtually
- 50-55 minutes per session
- 2 sessions per week for 6 weeks
- Mailed Tool Kit of materials with or without 12 weekly scripted 25-30-minute small group (3-5 people) phone calls
Employees of the hosting workplace with any physical or mental chronic condition or multiple chronic conditions
- 12-14 participants per face-to-face workshop
- 8-12 participants per virtual workshop
- 3-5 participants per Tool Kit with scripted phone calls workshop
- 2 trained Leaders, one or both of whom are non-health professionals with a chronic condition themselves, for both in person and virtual workshops
- 1 trained Leader for Tool Kit with small group phone calls workshops
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Program replace existing programs and treatments?
The program does not conflict with existing programs or treatment. Treatment is not altered. For all medical questions, participants are referred to their physicians or other health professionals on their health care team.
How were the programs developed?
The Workplace CDSMP was developed in response for the need for a program that could be offered within time frames available in most workplaces. It was developed and tested in partnership with Dr. Matthew Smith at the University of Georgia.
How can my facility offer the Program?
The Spanish Workplace CDSMP may only be offered in workplaces. All agencies must have at a minimum:
Techniques to deal with symptoms of chronic conditions, such as fatigue, pain, sleeplessness, shortness of breath, stress, and emotional problems such as depression, anger, fear, and frustration
Physicians, registered dietitians, occupational and physical therapists, and other health professionals have reviewed all workshop materials. Workshop was last updated in 2020.
- Techniques to help balance work and home life
- Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Appropriate use of medications
- Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
- How to evaluate new treatments
- Tomando control de su salud book
- Relajación para la mente y el cuerpo relaxation CD or MP3 (optional)
- Spanish Tool Kits are available
See the bibliography for articles about the Chronic Disease Self-Management and Tomando control de su salud programs, including workplace CDSMP
The CDSMP is considered an evidence-based program by the Administration for Community Living and the Centers for Disease Control Arthritis Branch.