- Small group workshop offered either face-to-face or virtually
- 2 1/2 hours per session
- 1 session per week for 6 weeks
- Mailed Tool Kit of materials with or without 6 weekly scripted 45-60-minute small group (3-5 people) phone calls
People with type 2 diabetes
- 12-16 participants per face-to-face workshop
- 8-12 participants per virtual workshop
- 3-5 participants per Tool Kit with scripted phone calls workshop
- 2 trained Leaders, one or both of whom are non-health professionals with diabetes themselves, for both in person and virtual workshops
- 1 trained Leader for Tool Kit with small group phone calls workshops
- Must be trained by SMRC-certified Master Trainers
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Program replace existing programs and treatments?
The program does not conflict with existing programs or treatment. Treatment is not altered. For all medical questions, participants are referred to their physicians or diabetes educators.
How were the programs developed?
The programs were developed based on focus groups with potential participants, reviewing professional organizational standards for diabetes patient education programs, and inputs from diabetes health professionals. We combined these inputs with processes to increase self-efficacy and to allow participants to self-tailor the workshops to their own needs. In addition, many methods from cognitive behavioral therapy are included.
How can my facility offer the Program?
All agencies must have at a minimum: