- Small group workshop offered either face-to-face or virtually for 2 1/2 hours once a week for six weeks
- Small group workshop specifically for the workplace, offered either face-to-face or virtually, 1 hour twice a week for six weeks
- Mailed Tool Kit of materials with or without 6 weekly scripted 45-60-minute minute small group (3-5 people) phone calls
- Asynchronous 6-week internet program Better Choices Better Health available in the North America through Canary Peers and in Europe from Vively.
People with any physical or mental chronic condition or multiple chronic conditions
- 12-16 participants per face-to-face workshop
- 8-12 participants per virtual workshop
- 3-5 participants per Tool Kit with scripted phone calls workshop
- 2 trained Leaders, one or both of whom are non-health professionals with a chronic condition themselves, for both in person and virtual workshops
- 1 trained Leader for Tool Kit with small group phone calls workshops
- Must be trained by SMRC-certified Master Trainers
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Program replace existing programs and treatments?
The program does not conflict with existing programs or treatment. Treatment is not altered. For all medical questions, participants are referred to their physicians or other health professionals on their health care team.
How were the programs developed?
The programs were developed based on focus groups with potential participants, reviewing professional organizational standards and national standards for such areas as exercise, and nutrition. We combined these inputs with processes to increase self-efficacy and to allow participants to self-tailor the workshops to their own needs. In addition, many methods from cognitive behavioral therapy are included.
How can my facility offer the Program?
All agencies must have at a minimum: