Workshops are highly participatory. Mutual support and success build participants’ confidence in their ability to manage their health and maintain active and fulfilling lives. Each participant is guided to tailor the workshop content to their own needs.
- Small group workshop offered either face-to-face or virtually
- 2 1/2 hours per session
- 1 session per week for 6 weeks
- Mailed Tool Kit of materials with or without 6 weekly scripted 45-60-minute small group (3-5 people) phone calls
People with chronic pain conditions, such as back pain, arthritis, headaches
- 12-16 participants per face-to-face workshop
- 8-12 participants per virtual workshop
- 3-5 participants per Tool Kit with scripted phone calls workshop
- 2 trained Leaders, one or both of whom are non-health professionals with chronic pain themselves for both in-person and virtual workshops
- 1 trained Leader for Tool Kit with small group phone calls workshops
- Must be trained by SMRC-certified Master Trainers
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Program replace existing programs and treatments?
The program does not conflict with existing programs or treatment. Treatment is not altered. For all medical questions, participants are referred to their physicians or other health professionals.
How were the programs developed?
The programs were developed based on focus groups with potential participants, reviewing professional organizational standards and national standards for such areas as exercise, and nutrition. Consultation with pain experts including physicians and psychologists. We combined these inputs with processes to increase self-efficacy and to allow participants to self-tailor the workshops to their own needs. In addition, many methods from cognitive behavioral therapy are included. Program and book updated in 2021.
How can my facility offer the Program?
All agencies must have at a minimum:
- License to offer SMRC programs
- At least two Leaders trained to offer CPSMP
- For in-person and virtual workshops, a copy of Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain and a Moving Easy Program CD or MP3 for each participant
- For Tool Kit with small group phone calls workshops, a Tool Kit for Active Living with Chronic Pain for each participant
Techniques to deal with symptoms of chronic pain conditions, such as fatigue, sleeplessness, stress, and emotional problems such as depression, anger, fear, and frustration, with emphasis on cognitive behavioral therapy techniques for managing pain.
Pain physicians, registered dietitians, occupational and physical therapists, and other health professionals have reviewed all workshop materials. Workshop was last updated in 2021.
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength and endurance
- Balancing activity with rest
- Tools for overcoming worst-case thinking
- How our minds affect pain and how we can use our minds to lessen pain
- Negative emotions
- Healthy eating
- Appropriate use of medication
- Working more effectively with health care providers
- Communicating with friends and family
- Communicating with the health care system
- Communicating with oneself
- Action-planning, problem-solving, decision-making
- Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain book
- Moving Easy Program CD or MP3 (usually inserted in the Chronic Pain book)
- Relaxation for Mind and Body relaxation CD or MP3 (optional)
- For Tool Kit option, participants need the complete Tool Kit for Active Living with Chronic Pain. This includes a book, Moving Easy Program CD or MP3, self-test and tip sheets
Virtual and face-to-face programs available in Spanish (Programa de manejo personal del dolor crónico) and French Canadian
For articles about the Chronic Pain Self-Management program see the bibliography
The CPSMP program is approved for Title IIID funding under the Older American’s Act and for Funding from the CDC Arthritis Branch.